Fall Overseeding FAQ!
Posted on Tuesday, July 15th, 2014 at 12:59 pm by dowcoenterprises
Will you aerate and overseed this fall? Have a few questions?
Dowco answers the most frequently asked questions regarding fall aeration and overseeding.
What needs to be flagged?
- Flag all irrigation heads and valve boxes.
- Flag the invisible dog fence approximately every 3 feet.
- Flag any other obstacles in the lawn (accent lights, sewers, etc)
Where can I get the flags?
- Dowco has free flags available for pick up at our office! We’ll also provide you with a complimentary bag of seed. And we’d love to meet you.
- Home improvement stores also sell flags.
Is paint okay to use?
- No. Unfortunately, paint is not easily visible to the crews when standing behind large equipment.
When do I flag the system?
- Dowco will call you to flag the system and give you a 2-3 day window. Please have your yard flagged the morning of the first day.
What will Dowco do with the flags upon completion?
- Dowco will pick up the flags upon completion and leave them in mulch beds so that they do not rust on the driveway. Bundle and save them for next year!
Can Dowco flag for me?
- Yes. Dowco can flag the system for you at a reduced labor rate of $65.
What if I forget to flag?
- Dowco will not aerate. We will call to reschedule the next time we are in your area which may be up to two weeks. (Some gremlins here want to charge you for forgetting, but so far they’ve held up!! Don’t make them change their minds!)
When should I water?
- Please water thoroughly the day before Dowco aerates. When the soil is moist, the tines are better able to penetrate and release longer plugs of soil.
- You can water as soon after aerating as you’d like.
How often should I water?
- It is important to water the seeds in immediately.
- The ground should be damp, but not soaking wet.
- There should not be so much water that there is runoff.
How soon can I mow?
- You can mow as soon after aeration as you’d like.
- If you are over-seeding at the same time, the grass may be mowed AFTER the new seed has been watered in.
Do I need to be home on the day of aeration and overseeding?
How long will it take to see results?
- You will see seedlings begin to germinate within 7-10 days.
- Late August seeding will be able to see nice germination before the end of the fall season.
- Late season seedings will over-winter and reach maturity next spring.
When can I mow?
- It is okay to mow weekly AFTER the seed has been thoroughly watered in.
What do I do with leaves?
- DO NOT RAKE THE LEAVES! Seedlings are delicate and have shallow roots.
- The best way to remove leaves is to blow or mulch them up with the lawn mower.
What about fertilization & weed control?
- Dowco will fertilize the seed with a specially formulated product that encourages new seedling growth.
- After seeding, Dowco will not use weed control.
What if a storm comes right after I seed?
- Hooray! The water is great for the seed! It will help to wash the seeds into the aeration holes.
- We will return within 30 days to spot seed any areas that may have experienced run off.
What if I have a trouble spot?
- Let us know the area in advance so we can pay special attention to this area.
- We will return within 30 days to spot seed trouble areas.
- If you’re feeling extra ambitious, feel free to pick up a free bag of seed at our office at any time!
Dowco is the premier provider of lawn care and landscape maintenance services. We are committed to improving the quality of your life so that you can spend time doing the things you want to do! Our full service menu includes weekly maintenance of your property, plant health visits, and modern site enhancements.
- Dowco Specific
- Fall Turf Renovation
- Featured Client
- Flowers and Plants
- Monthly Outdoor To Do Lists
- Plants & Flowers
- St. Louis
- Tree & Shrub
- Turf Care
- Winter Season
- Yard Maintenance
- March 2016
- October 2015
- August 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Follow Blog via Email
Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.